How to buy a house without a real estate agent
Unless you pay for the purchase of the house completely in cash, you must get financing before you can buy it. A mortgage pre-approval will specify exactly what the loan amounts to (and, therefore, how much you can afford to buy it), and it is a very useful tool when negotiating with a seller.
Search houses for sale.
When you work with a real estate agent, your job is to find properties that may interest you. Therefore, if you decide to continue the process of buying a house without a real estate agent, it becomes your responsibility to look for houses that are for sale. Test in the following sources:
- The real estate magazines are full of houses for sale, in any case, it is important that you only take into account the announcements of the properties that are for sale by the owner if you want to buy a house without including a real estate agent.
- Classified ad pages like Craigslist offer a wide variety of homes for sale by the owner, making it possible to buy a home from the comfort of your own.
- Local newspapers can advertise homes that are for sale in both the classified ads and the real estate sections.
- Take a drive through the neighborhoods where you would like to buy a house, and look for sales signs by the owner in which the seller’s phone number will appear.
- Real estate websites such as Home.com or Trulia.com maintain a database of houses for sale where you can search based on the parameters you set in terms of location, price and design.
Get in touch with the owners of the houses that interest you.
Ask all the questions you want about the house for sale, and then schedule a visit.
Determine if the house is worth what sellers ask for.
Once you decide that you are interested in making an offer for a property, you must decide how much you will offer for it. There are several ways to evaluate the value of a house without the help of a real estate agent:
- Hire an appraiser to evaluate the property. For a certain cost, an appraiser will carry out an in-depth evaluation of the house and will provide you with the documentation that the financial entity will ask you before you can buy the house.
- There are tools on the Internet to value properties where they allow you to enter details of the house in order to get an estimate of what it is worth. An Internet search will provide you with the number of free home value calculators that you can use to decide whether or not to buy a home.
- A market comparison analysis (ACM) obtains the structure of the house, the property where it is located and the neighborhood to offer an approximate figure of how much a house is worth in the current market.
Hire a lawyer.
Once you have decided on the house for which you want to make an offer and then purchase, it is time to hire a professional who is responsible for drafting the necessary legal documents.
Make an offer.
Ask your lawyer to make an offer to buy the house and then present it to the sellers. Negotiate the offer as much as necessary until the seller and you reach an agreement.
Make a sales contract.
Your lawyer will draw up the sales contract for you, which must be signed by the seller and you.
Presents the sale contract to the financial entity in charge of granting the mortgage.
The financial institution will process your mortgage and schedule your conclusion.
- Many people choose to buy a house without a real estate agent because they want to avoid paying a commission. Keep in mind that it is not true that you have to pay a commission for using a real estate agent for the home purchase process. Real estate agents are paid by sellers with the income obtained from the sale. Sellers usually include this rate (usually 6%, depending on real estate agents) on the price they ask for the house. Do without one, or both, real estate agents is a very useful tool when buying a house.
- According to statistics, direct sales in the market by the owners are generally evaluated at the same price, or above, the price that a real estate agent would ask for. Therefore, you may not get the best offer if you buy a house without the help of a real estate agent.